[RE-wrenches] Oddball pumping question

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Mar 27 21:55:12 PDT 2014

First look at what his actual pumping needs are, and come up with a more
efficient way to provide the water.
I just got back tonight from changing out hydronic circulators for a
customer with new Hi Efficiency brushless ECM models.  I was able to cut
the watt draw by 65%.
Also, its very possible that multiple smaller pumps could be used in his
situation as well.   I'm sure changing pumps and using a smaller array
will be much lower cost, and has higher chance of meeting his
challenge.  Just cowboying in a system to run that monster is a bad
idea, just like on smaller scale projects.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician