[RE-wrenches] Battery spill containment

william at millersolar.com william at millersolar.com
Tue Mar 11 08:53:03 PDT 2014

Friends:

Thanks for all of the replies regarding spill containment.  Here are the
options I have seen suggested or I have invented:

1.       Trays:  These batteries are 2600 pounds each.  We place them on
pressure treat 4X4s using a pallet jack.  It would be very difficult to lift
these batteries into a plastic tray.

2.       Pallet containment:  Might be feasible if we could get custom made
pallets.

3.       Sheeting:  We use 1/8" neoprene sheeting under L-16s and IBE 2 volt
cells and lap the walls up to create a containment tub.  The neoprene we can
get is only 3' wide, about half the width we need for these batteries.  We
can get chemical resistant tarps in varying sizes but they are expensive.

4.       Diapers:  We could use the 3' wide neoprene and cut individual
pieces for each steel tray.  We would enclose the bottom of each tray with a
4" tall basin and secure with plastic box straps.

5.       Coatings:  There are acid resistant epoxy paints available. One
could pour a berm around your batteries and paint the surface.  For heavy
batteries you would need to paint the bottom and three sides prior and then
pour a front berm afterwords.  If you used minimal steel the front could be
busted out later for removal.

6.       Nothing:  I have done some research and the incidents of battery
spills is pretty minimal outside of installation and removal.  See attached
white paper on the subject.

My conclusion:   I consider 3, 4 or 6 the most practical choices.

Thanks again for the input.

William Miller