[RE-wrenches] Lithium ion

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Fri Feb 28 10:07:04 PST 2014

Todd,

Lithium batteries offer many distinct benefits over lead acid. Life, weight, size, time to charge and more. For me, it is market specific. Our primary business is designing, installing and servicing large power systems in recreational vehicles. Hundreds of our customers only use the RV seasonally by coming to SW Arizona to escape winter. When they go home, they leave the RV in storage for 6 months, not healthful for batteries. Our other customers are off grid residents n Mexico (US and Canadians mostly). They, too, are seasonal and leave their homes for 6 months or more.

I regularly recycle over 30,000 pounds of batteries at our store and I'm only open for 6 months per year! Most customers that come in for batteries have damaged theirs in just a few years. The frequent culprit: deficit charging. A Lithium battery will not be harmed by under charging, they never need to reach 100% SoC, or leaving for long periods partially charged. You can disconnect the battery at 60% SoC and leave it for a year and it will be ready to use again when you turn it back on.

I am fully committed to offering LFMP batteries as a lead acid replacement for RV's and off grid homes.

Larry