[RE-wrenches] controllers

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Feb 20 15:33:16 PST 2014

Hi Ron,

I agree and share the frustration. I've been asking Rick at Blues Sky Energy for a few years to build an IPN network controller that can handle 100 volts input and 60 amps out. With the IPN Pro, the BSE controllers are the very best in battery monitoring and terminating charge based on AH returned.  If Morningstar made their controllers less archaic to program, I would consider using them.

I have not found anything agreeable that fits this gap in charge controllers. As you discovered, the 3024iL can only handle one 60 cell module, unless you can find some 200 Watt modules. The next step is to the Midnite Classic which is a 96 amp CC. We uses lots of 60 and 72 cell modules on 12 volt systems. We have installed quite a few Classics but many of the systems are only 600 - 800 Watts.

The problem I see for manufacturing is the price point. A 40 amp BSE controller is about $350 and the Midnite Classic is about $520 (online prices). A $170 spread does not leave much room to built a 60 amp IPN network controller. But I WOULD buy them by the dozen, if only….

Larry