[RE-wrenches] Bergey Excel 1 wind generator issues

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Feb 19 22:25:43 PST 2014

Hi Jeremy;

I'm referring to the Clipper.  It includes everything that the regular
control box MNTCB includes: rectifier, bypass/ brake switching, but also
has the voltage limiting control circuit, and dump resistors.  Midnite
sells several size resistors, so I'm waiting to find out which ohm
rating is best for the XL.1 with the 24 v MS stator.
Apparently, Bergey has had 4 different stators.  Only the new ones 24 MS
and 48 MS are compatible with the Midnite Classic's MPPT.  I don't know
what date they went to the newer stators, but the old XL.1s would need
to update the stator.

Mad scientist time:
It might also be possible to just remove the rectifier at the turbine,
and then run the 3 phase current through a transformer, before the
Clipper to get the voltage high enough for MPPT.  You'd need to add a
3rd conductor too.... Still no way to do it without dropping the
tower.......hmmmm, time to sleep.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,