[RE-wrenches] Spacing between ground mounted sub-arrays at 48.5 degrees N latitude

Jason Szumlanski jason at fafcosolar.com
Mon Feb 17 09:22:53 PST 2014

I love Skelion, but as far as I know, Skelion won't work in this case. It
would work great if the panels were going to have an azimuth of ESE, but
the desired orientation is to true south. Skelion always aligns the leading
edge of the array to the plane on which it is being placed. In other words,
the target surface and leading panel edge must be coplanar. I believe Bob
wants the leading edge to be aligned horizontally east to west despite the
slope to ESE. See attached image that shows how Skelion will provide a
south azimuth and 35 degree absolute tilt, but the leading edge slopes down
with the land.

For visualization purposes you can manually tilt the array to have a
horizontal leading edge, but the shading analysis will no longer be valid.

We do all of our quotes using a Layout Template with Sketchup Pro. We crush
the competition in this respect. Are you creating a 3D building model, or
do you just place the modules on the flat Google roof imagery?

Jason Szumlanski