[RE-wrenches] DC Fusing/Breakers for Battery Circuits

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Feb 11 11:08:15 PST 2014

Boltswitch used to make pullout discos for the smaller R fuses too.  You
can use them, but they are a time delay fuse, so you need to look at
trip curves for sizing (don't just substitute the same amp rated RK5 for
a T)
The R fuses are physically much larger, and are rated to 300 vdc, class
T to 160 vdc.  The AIC ratings seem to be similar 20,000 amps, though.

I would favor the Boltswitch pullout with T fuses for these reasons:
1) its lower cost
2) It will trip faster than any breaker or RK5 in an actual fault.
3) It takes up much less space than 3 breakers in their own enclosure.
4)  It disconnects 3 strings with one move.
5) The fuses and holder would handle corrosion better than the
complicated internal workings of a breaker
(my opinion: not proven fact)

I should also add that I'm normally a big fan of breakers, and would
still have inverter disconnect breakers in the system as well.  I'm only
advocating the class T Bolt switch solution for fusing separate parallel
battery strings, close to the battery box.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician