[RE-wrenches] Solar Module Fire Ratings

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 13:17:01 PST 2014

David and Wrenches,

With several recent mentions on the Wrench board pertaining to PV fire ratings, and AHJ interpretations of the 2014 NEC we're hearing on this issue, I'm concerned this is a volcano on the verge of eruption.

I recently attended a large meeting of Texas AHJ/CBO officials where the 2014 NEC, and PV in particular, were the focus.  I had with me information from UL and the Solar ABCs.  Both sets of documents were of interest, but were ultimately dismissed by the men from the State Code Board.  Essentially, what I was told - "if it isn't in the book (NEC) .. it doesn't matter what other 'authority' or 'authoritative source' is cited".

The State of Texas will officially adopt the 2014 NEC statewide on September 1.  Municipalities will follow immediately thereafter.

I anticipate difficulties associated with this issue will continue to escalate nationwide unless we can get a handle on it - now.

Dan Lepinski