[RE-wrenches] conductor properties of PV wire

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 7 09:53:58 PST 2014

Kirk,

There is no standard diameter for PV Wire so Chapter 9 table 1 must be used.
By the way, Table 1 is the code and the table in Annex C are not officially
the code. They are simply informational based on the standard nominal
diameters of various conductors. Many conductors have non-standard
dimensions, so using Annex C blindly, without checking the diameter, is not
a good idea. USE-2 and RHW-2 are good examples in addition to PV Wire where
the diameter does not match the Annex C tables.

Lastly, the 40% requirement in Table 1 is an absolute maximum allowed. Best
practice is to go no more than 75% of the maximum allowable (about 30%
fill). This is particularly important for rubberized insulators like RHW and
USE since 40% fill can be very difficult to pull through longer runs
regardless of how much lube is used.

Bill.