[RE-wrenches] DC Fusing/Breakers for Battery Circuits

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 14:51:01 PST 2014

Dave,

I think the key reference is Section VIII, Storage Batteries, 690.71
Installation.
(C) Current Limiting. A listed, current-limiting, overcurrent device shall
be installed in each circuit adjacent to the batteries where the available
short-circuit current from a battery or battery bank exceeds the
interrupting or withstand ratings of other equipment in that circuit. The
installation of current-limiting fuses shall comply with 690.16.

You need to calculate the amount of current your batteries can provide into
a fault, which is a function of capacity, internal resistance and a few
other details your battery manufacturer should be able to provide.  The
OutBack 175/250A panel mount breakers have an AIC rating of 100,000 at
65VDC, 50,000 at 125VDC.  If the fault current your two strings of
batteries can provide is less than 100,000, you can parallel the two
circuits.  If not, you should provide overcurrent protection on each
string.  Class T fuses can be used to provide current limiting capability
to within that range.

Phil