[RE-wrenches] Solar Carport on a Parking Ramp

Jeffrey Yago jryago at dtisolar.com
Thu Feb 6 09:25:45 PST 2014

We did a 112 kW system added to top level of almost new multi-story parking
deck at a University.  While we provided all solar design, we teamed with a
structural engineering firm that provided all structural details to support
the standard Unirack mounting racks.  Since we were not allowed to take up
any parking spaces with supports, each array row had to span over the up and
down ramps in the center of this deck.  This required free spans over 100
feet so structural steel was very large.  Everything attached to existing
concrete piers, but this required x-ray of piers to identify location of all
internal rebar so mounting holes and bolts did not cut into these.  The cost
of the structural work was very high and I am glad we had a quality
structural engineer on board.

Make sure to determine if client will allow  array mounting structure
supports to take up some parking spaces and if not, you better have a really
big budget for the structural support system!

Jeff Yago

DTI Solar Inc.