[RE-wrenches] Battery venting issue

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Thu Feb 6 07:30:19 PST 2014

Allan,

The primary concern should be the volume of gas discharge if over voltage occurs. This study helped me understand the risks: http://www.sonnenschein.org/Gassing.htm

Quote from the study: "Gassing according to IEC 896/2-Oct 95 @ 2.3v / cell within 30 days was measured @ 5mL/cell/ah while Overcharging @ 2.48v/cell caused 900m L / cell / ah within 30 days!"

Also heres a technical bulletin from C&D that discusses how long a 2% concentration takes during overcharge. See document 41-6739: http://www.cdtechno.com/resource/support_doc.html

Thank you,

Larry Crutcher
(928) 342-9103
www.starlightsolar.com
larry at starlightsolar.com

Retail Store & Warehouse
2998 Shari Ave.
Yuma, Az 85365

USPS Postal Mail Only
11881 S Fortuna Road, #210
Yuma, AZ 85367

On Feb 5, 2014, at 7:38 PM, Allan Sindelar <allan at positiveenergysolar.com> wrote:

Wrenches,
I need a bit of help here if you have it. Since 2002 we have installed somewhere between 30 and 35 systems with sealed batteries installed in manufactured enclosures, originally Outback enclosures and in recent years Midnite MNBE enclosures. At least ten of these have been indoors in one form or another - usually a laundry or mechanical room. Our battery of choice is Concorde SunXtender. We have only added mechanical ventilation (Zephyr Power-Vent to outside) if the battery enclosure itself is sealed. Nearly all of these have been permitted and inspected systems, and we have never     had a problem with the inspectors. Of course, we always vent flooded systems to the outside, nearly always using a Power Vent fan.

Now we have. An AHJ failed a system for lack of ventilation, and our attempts to resolve it have not been effective. The Chief Electrical Inspector has weighed in, and we are right at the point of filing a Request for Code Interpretation with the New Mexico Electrical Division Technical Advisory Panel.

I have not wanted to just add ventilation to pass inspection because of the precedent doing so is likely to set for future installations. The GC on the job supports my attempts to push back, as do the homeowners. The Chief Inspector thinks that the 700 square foot unheated room in which our system is installed is a bedroom; it's actually a storeroom for the homeowners' collectible book home business.

My request: please send me documented work by others establishing that PV systems with sealed VRLA batteries are used specifically because they are considered safe without venting to the outside. If you know of good online links, I could use them too. For example, the AHJ asked for a document stating that the batteries or the enclosure were specifically approved for this use in an indoor location. I can't - Midnite battery enclosures are simply listed to UL508A, which is "industrial control panels" and there's nothing specific to this application in the standard.

To me this is a common-sense issue, but common sense doesn't cut it when needing to prove a procedure. Can anyone help?

For what it's worth, or for those Wrenches with too much spare time, below is the text of the original defense of our installation that I sent to the AHJ. His response was that he's not an electrical engineer and this would have to be taken upstairs. For what it's worth, I'm not an EE either... My frustration is showing, I'm sure.

Thank you for any links, reports or other resources you may be able to send my way.
Allan