[RE-wrenches] Temperature Compensation calcs for wire

Jeffrey Quackenbush quackkcauq at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 25 06:50:47 PST 2014

William,

I was confused by this too until I stared at it for awhile. In the bolded heading to all the tables 310.15 (16) – (20), it says either "Based on Ambient Air Temperature of 40C (104F)" or "Based on Ambient Air Temperature of 30C (86F)". Basically conductors with a temperature rating of 150C+ use the 40C de-rate factors and conductors rated 60C to 90C (which is what a PV installer will use in almost every scenario) use the 30C column. These temp de-rate values used to be posted directly under the ampacity tables, so you wouldn't have noticed the difference between the 40C and 30C values before 2011.

Jeffrey Quackenbush

Dave: