[RE-wrenches] Very small PV systems for surveillance or other "micro" loads

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 21 10:05:54 PST 2014

+1 on Ray's comment about exact load.
+1 on Ray's recommendation of measuring it yourself.

+2! on Dan's "load creep" comment.

I own a fairly respectable solar trailer, with adequate power and reserves for many needs.  Three years ago, I provided solar power for an "environmental chili cook-off" fund raiser.  Organizers assured me the total load would consist of nine small crock pots for the contestants.  The crock pots were rated 140 to 200 watts each, and I was told they'd need power only for two hours to keep the chili hot for judging, and sales of chili to the public afterwards.  The chili was to be made at home and brought to the event for judging.

I arrived early and set up.  At first, it appeared the organizers were fairly close on what they'd told me.  11 contestants, all with crock pots.  Close enough.  Then some "professionals" showed up.

Bottom line .. 22 contestants (not 9), some with institutional cookers using up to 1800 watts.  Total load: 14,500 watts.  I had 12,200 watts of sine-wave inverter in the trailer, with 24 kW-h of battery reserve.  Peukert was in full effect that day.  Even with a 2,500 watt Honda generator assisting, the batteries were dead just as the judging began.  Fortunately, the chili was still steaming hot for all involved, so the contest wasn't affected .. but it was a painful lesson learned.
Admittedly, I *did* get some very good cups of chili that day .. but the batteries in my trailer paid for it.

Ray's and Dan's comments (below) are absolutely 100% on target.  Don't trust the customer to tell you what power they need.  YOU validate the actual loads .. and hold the customer to it.

Dan