[RE-wrenches] NEC 2014 690.12 Rapid Shutdown

Isaac Opalinsky David.Opalinsky at sunpower.com
Wed Jan 15 17:08:15 PST 2014

Does Midnite’s Birdhouse or any combiner solutions meet the requirement to achieve 30V, 240 kVA within 10 seconds?  I’ve never seen a string inverter’s DC input terminals drop that quickly, and I’m especially curious to know how the string inverter manufacturers are going to cope with this, or if Midnite has anything to help deenergize the capacitors.

Interesting to note that 690.12 doesn’t state where the rapid shutdown should be initiated from, or how many steps could be required.  Could we use one disconnect to disconnect the conductors from the capacitors (i.e., at the inverter) and another to disconnect the conductors from the array (i.e., at the array)?  Doesn’t seem very “rapid”, but 690.12 isn’t very specific.

Isaac Opalinsky
SunPower Corporation