[RE-wrenches] Flickering LED lights on and Outback Dual 7248VFX system

Exeltech exeltech at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 8 14:27:37 PST 2014

GFI outlets have an internal circuit breaker.  Likely the breaker contacts in that outlet are marginal (resistive), causing a voltage drop.  The compressor pulls max current at the top of each compression cycle.  When the peak compressor current coincides with an AC voltage peak (they're not necessarily synchronized on a cycle-by-cycle basis), the voltage drop across the GFI breaker contacts is sufficient to cause the LEDs to flicker, but not so much of a drop as to affect the compressor or other loads.

I'll bet if you replace the GFI .. the LED flickering problem goes away.

Nice detective work.

Dan