[RE-wrenches] Deka AGMs

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Jan 8 12:55:13 PST 2014

August,

Perhaps the Deka batteries from a decade ago were better made. At 12 years, they have probably seen full life. A discharge test is the only way to tell what is left but I would not waste time with batteries that age.

We have had very high failure rates on Deka 8D AGM batteries. This started with batteries installed in early 2007. The batteries were installed in off-grid homes and RV mobile systems. The failures began about 3 years after installation. We are still seeing some come back with the same problem.

During the same time period we installed as many or more Lifeline (Concorde) 8D batteries without any failures to date. (customer neglect does not count)

Since Deka has never offered an answer as to why we had so many fail, I'll offer my guess. I think the battery tops are not sealed properly to the case allowing air to migrate in and out of the cells. I have opened several of the failed batteries and it's always the same; very heavy corrosion. The picture attached shows a 4 year old 8D that the positive post is completely corroded off where the bar attached to the grids. Notice in the second photo that some cells are not as badly corroded.

Larry