[RE-wrenches] 2014 NEC

Jeffrey Quackenbush quackkcauq at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 18:48:23 PDT 2014

I recently took a code update course with the electrical inspector in Andover MA, and he said that he is only allowing micro-inverter systems in his jurisdiction at the moment.

SolarEdge and other auxiliary optimizers are not able to certify that they will shut down within 10 seconds. I understand that the manufacturers are working on this, but I'm not sure about their timeframe. Most jurisdictions in MA, I believe, are accepting SolarEdge or Tigo systems, but they don't comply at the moment with the 10 second shut-down provision in 690.12 (2).

The inspector said that he is interpreting 690.12 (1) to say that the means of performing the shutdown should be within 10'/5' of the array, so that means locating the shutdown means on the roof in most cases. The last time I brought this up on the Wrenches list, it was suggested installers could use some kind of relay setup with an accessible activation switch and a relay disconnect. However, 690.12 (5) says: "Equipment that performs the rapid shutdown shall be listed and identified". 690.12 (5) unfortunately doesn't tell us what the equipment should be listed and identified for. It could be listed and identified for the circuit characteristics and shutdown time, or it could be listed and identified for the requirements of 690.12 as a whole function with its own UL specifications. It's possible to find equipment for the former interpretation, but I'm not aware of anything available for the latter (is anyone writing a UL regime for this?). And I think
 that the latter interpretation is reasonable, given the ambiguity in the way the text is written, and what is usually meant by "listed and identified" taken together.

I like micro-inverters for small systems. And I like the SolarEdge model for larger systems with weird layouts, shading issues, or a premium on production. However, central inverters are, depending on the configuration and size of the system, 0.05 $/W to 0.25 $/W less expensive than micro-inverters or DC optimizer systems, and that increase in cost is most likely to come out of the contractor's pocket. I also see this affecting sales for companies producing central inverters as the 2014 code rolls out across the country. If someone has a solution for central inverters under 690.12 when dealing with skeptical AHJs, I'd appreciate hearing more about it.

Regards,
Jeffrey Quackenbush