[RE-wrenches] high efficiency modules in U.S.

Marco Mangelsdorf marco at pvthawaii.com
Fri Apr 25 09:26:05 PDT 2014

Check out this company:  <http://silevosolar.com/> http://silevosolar.com/.

They’re producing an 18+ percent efficient Si module.

Oh….so much can be said on these subjects.  (Full disclosure: I was caught up in the first go-round of the PV tariffs battle and am far from an unbiased observer.)

Note that there have yet to be any new PV tariffs announced by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce.  There was to be an announcement on possible countervailing (CV) duties at the end of March, but it was delayed until June.  (First they announce possible CV duties then announce possible anti-dumping duties; the AD tariffs are the nasty ones.)

Yes, good ole Frank Asbeck and his not so merry band at Solarworld.  SW has lost big money these past 10 straight quarters to the tune of about $1.55 billion dollars total and projects not to be profitable for more quarters to come...if they last that long.  Rather than do what needs to be done as far as their cost structure, Asbeck et al. has spent a considerable amount of time and effort and money going after the Chinese over the past three years.  To what end?  How has this behavior benefitted his German-based company let alone the PV industry writ large?

Regarding Panasonic Solar news, this is the first I’ve heard of this.  Anyone know why they’re no longer distributing in the U.S.?

Regarding Canadian Solar, they’re moving operations from China…to the real Canada.  Which will mean a bump in price of some amount when all is said and done.

marco

These anti-solar tariffs are awful!

What a horrible disappointment--- they won't revive a dead horse (domestic PV manufacturing already folded), BP already closed its solar division, Evergreen/Astropower/countless others already folded, they won't protect Solar World (which isn't even a US company)----

but they will hurt consumers:

-drive solar businesses out of the marketplace and out of business

-less competition and fewer options in the market = lower quality and higher prices

-lack of product

-lack of replacement product

-aftermarket warranty support for solar will evaporate

/wk

William Korthof

714.875.3576

Sustainable Solutions