[RE-wrenches] Enphase monitoring picking up other systems

Louis Woofenden louis at woofenden.net
Mon Apr 14 11:21:16 PDT 2014

Hi Benn,

We've run into these problems when simultaneously commissioning systems
in adjacent units of a housing development where we did PV systems on
all homes, and 2-3 homes are on one utility transformer. I'm a little
surprised that the Envoy picked up inverters from an existing system,
unless those microinverters were never associated with another Envoy. My
understanding from Enphase is that once they are "bound" to one Envoy,
they won't be easily picked up in a device scan. But maybe I'm missing
something, or got bad info from tech support.

We've definitely had to work with Enphase tech support on a couple of
systems to remove inverters from one Envoy, then do a device scan on
another Envoy, as August suggested. Another option is to spend the money
for the Array Gun scanner (SocketMobile CHS7xi scanner), and use the iOS
Enphase Installer Toolkit app to build arrays and "provision" the Envoy,
sending the inverter serial numbers directly to the Envoy, without need
for a device scan. Not sure if this is worth it at the $450 retail price
for the scanner, but if you can find one used, it might be. I recently
was able to pick one up for about $250 used.

Haven't yet had issues serious enough to require LCFs on residential
systems. Crossing my fingers on that one.

Best,

Louis Woofenden

Net Zero Solar, Tucson, AZ