[RE-wrenches] Flashing vs Sealant... again (is sealant code defensible?)

Glenn Burt glenn.burt at glbcc.com
Sun Apr 13 18:22:49 PDT 2014

In New York solar installations are required to have all penetrations
flashed - chemical sealant is not flashing. An asphalt rooftop that sees
temperature swings from -20 to 130F are a concern for simple thermal
movement and I lost count of how many L feet I have seen with half a tube of
silicone or worse yet Sikaflex goobered all around them. Ask any roofer what
he thinks about drilling through the roof and relying on purely a chemical
adhesive/sealant for the prevention of water intrusion, and he will laugh at
you.

NYS Building code 1503.2 is the primary reference for requiring flashing for
all roof penetrations.

The NYS 2010 residential code M2301.2.7, R903.2 all refer to 'flashing' and
sealing.

The National Roofing Contractors Association provides guidance for asphalt
shingles and penetrations.

Checking with many roofing manufacturers also has shown that they require
flashing penetrations to maintain their warranties - not using flashing is a
violation of the roofing installation instructions.

Yes it is more expensive - but it is like insurance, you don't need it until
you need it, but then there is no substitute for it. Of course if you are
big enough with deep enough pockets you can take more chances with roof
penetrations, and maybe you will not run into a call-back for a leaking
roof. But if you do, wouldn't you have a stronger position with the customer
by saying all penetrations were flashed in accordance with standard roofing
contractors and manufacturer's specifications instead of 'well I shot
everything full of sealant and it is what I have been doing for
years/hundreds of holes in roofs'.

I can't see in this day and age any reason not to use one of the many
commercially available flashing solutions. Now 5 years ago, was a different
time, and we formed our own flashing out of Al coil stock because there was
no good solution available at that time.

Hope this helps in your decisions.

Glenn Burt

One of many inspectors for the NYSERDA PV and Thermal incentive programs.