[RE-wrenches] Fault Current

Dave Click daveclick at fsec.ucf.edu
Thu Mar 27 13:15:18 PDT 2014

The "explanation" you quote doesn't make any sense to me. If the
engineer is concerned about fault current, the primary source is going
to be through the utility transformer, and it will be on the order of
5,000 - 10,000A depending on the transformer's impedance. The fault
current contribution from the inverters will be much less than that (an
SB8000 fault current is all of 61.7A) and it will last for a much
shorter duration. Be nice-- some engineers think by default that all
generation acts like a rotating machine, which can contribute quite a
bit of fault current. Not so for PV, so hopefully this engineer will see
the light with a bit of help from you.

A few questions for your engineer then:
1) These inverters will be exporting power, not drawing it; why are the
inverters not considered a negative load in this installation? [I assume
you're not installing batteries]
2) What is the "500A fault current limit" that was taken into account in
the site design? The service size is ___A.

A 167kVA transformer at 240V has a rated current of about 700A, which is
another reason why the "500A fault current" doesn't make sense.

DKC