[RE-wrenches] Autocad

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Wed Mar 12 19:37:33 PDT 2014

Hi William,

We use AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT in our office. Although Sketchup is pretty
awesome for the reasons others have already mentioned, it really doesn't
compare to AutoCAD for heavy duty design drawings - especially single line
electrical drawings. We're about 50%+ commercial at this point so we need
to interface with architects and other trades so need AutoCAD. That said,
AutoCAD LT is probably sufficient for you unless you want to do 3D and it
costs about $1,200. You can download it right from the Autodesk website. I
like Bill Brooks' idea of leasing it too! I haven't tried TurboCAD but I've
heard that there can be compatibility issues between it and AutoCAD if
you're sharing files back and forth. It is quite a bit cheaper. We used to
use MS Visio and it took about a year to get up to speed with AutoCAD. But
once you get used to all the shortcuts in AutoCAD is is quite fast.

Best,

August
Luminalt

*August Goers*