[RE-wrenches] "Extra Low Voltage"

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 05:09:02 PST 2014

Hi Hugh,

This varies quite a bit all over the States.  In Colorado, they have a
distinction between an electrician and a PV installer.  Electricians can do
anything that the PV Installer can do, but not vice versa.  In order to
pull a state permit, a pv installer just needs to be listed on the
regulatory agencies website, which takes a simple one-page application, and
has more to do with business credentials than technical expertise.  The PV
installer is supposed to do only DC wiring.  The voltage does not matter
because that can mean all the way up to 600 VDC (and beyond) for PV and
battery systems above 48V nominal are restricted by the NEC.

This seems to be the case in all of the jurisdictions that I have worked
in.  You don't need any credentials to install the DC side of things.  The
DC voltage is not a significant factor in who can wire what.  For the AC
side, a master electrician license is required to pull permits that have an
AC portion of wiring.

However, often for some financial reason, such as utility incentive or to
comply with bid requirements, a NABCEP certified person is required to
oversee the DC side of things.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 6:44 PM, Ray Walters <ray at solarray.com> wrote:

>  New Mexico used to have a low voltage electrician.  It was for
> communications guys, and was limited to under 50 v.
> Actually pretty useless, since most systems had inverters.  Also it wasn't
> that much harder to just get a regular electrical license.
> Also, some considered even 24 v systems to be over 50 v, since the Voc in
> cold weather could exceed 50v.
> Generally, for maintenance/ battery replacement on off grid stuff, no one
> worries about it.  If you are doing new construction, pulling permits, then
> you need to have much more than just the license.
> Insurance, bonding, worker's comp, etc. are also all required.
>
> R.Ray Walters
> CTO, Solarray, Inc
> Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
> Licensed Master Electrician
> Solar Design Engineer303 505-8760
>
> On 3/6/2014 6:33 PM, Hugh Piggott wrote:
>
> Me again,
>
>  Maybe that was confusing.  Just to clarify this question, I will break
> it down as follows:
>
>    - What qualifications do you need to legally work on electrical
>    systems in your country/state?
>    - *Is the circuit voltage a factor*, and if there is a different rule
>    for ELV systems, then how is ELV defined?
>    - What other factors are applicable such as status (homeowner,
>    installer, paid/unpaid) and location (inside home, wet location, etc)?
>
>  Thanks for any observations.
>
>  Hugh
>
>  On 5 Mar 2014, at 08:34, Hugh Piggott wrote:
>
>  hi All,
>
>  I am trying to find some general statements that can be made about the
> global legal position on who may or may not work on/install "extra low
> voltage" (ELV) systems or equipment such as batteries, PV, turbines etc.
>
>  I understand that in the USA this is a matter for state legislation
> rather than federal.  I'd be interested to learn what rules people follow
> regarding such work and who can do it, for themselves or for money, in what
> environment (inside or outside the home for example, dry or wet etc) and at
> what voltages?  The definition of ELV seems to change depending on various
> factors, one of which is whether it is "separated" (floating and well
> insulated) or not.
>
>  Many of us work with battery systems, and not everyone is a certified
> electrician.  I'd love to know some ground rules.
>
>  thanks!
>
>  Hugh
>

>   Hugh Piggott
> Scoraig Wind Electric
> Dundonnell
> Ross shire
> IV23 2RE,  UK
> +44 77 1315 7600
> hugh at scoraigwind.co.uk
> www.scoraigwind.co.uk

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Change email address & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> [...]

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*