[RE-wrenches] conductors and the 120% rule

Brian Mehalic brian at solarenergy.org
Wed Mar 5 07:01:31 PST 2014

A very clarifying change is what I'd call it!

First off, rather than being based on the actual breaker size on the
inverter output circuit, calcs are instead based on 125% of the inverter
rated output current.

705.12(D)(2)(1) addresses "Feeders" - but only applies when the inverter
output circuit connection is made somewhere other than the opposite end of
the feeder from the utility supply.  This addresses concerns about whether
the feeder conductor needs to be larger due to the presence of the
additional source of supply, and so long as the inverter isn't connected to
the feeder in the middle of it then the existing conductor size should be
okay (because if it is at the opposite end of the feeder than there is
nowhere where the utility and inverter current will be additive).

705.12(D)(2)(3) addresses "Busbars" and allows several options, including
the familiar "120% rule" as you stated in your original post.  Also check
out 705.12(D)(2)(3)(c) - depending on the load breakers in the subpanel,
the 120% rule may not even need to be used (if the sum of the inverter and
load breakers is less than or equal to the busbar rating).

And remember, even if your AHJ hasn't adopted 2014 yet it is worth having a
conversation with them to see if they'll allow you to design the system
based on the new Code - after all, in a certain sense, the 2014 NEC is what
"they" meant the 2011 NEC to say!

Cheers,

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional(tm) R031508-59
IREC ISPQ Certified Affiliated Instructor/PV US-0132

PV Curriculum Developer and Instructor
Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org