[RE-wrenches] Trojan IND9-6V settings with Outback FX and Flexmax 60

Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems larry at starlightsolar.com
Wed Feb 19 13:28:44 PST 2014

Hi Chris,

Moving from VRLA to flooded, the customer should know it takes about 20% more energy and longer charge time to get to 100% SoC.

Trojan states that charge current should not be more than 10-13% of C20 discharge rate. For the IND9, that's 46 to 60 amps maximum per string. VRLA can handle MUCH more.

Since sun-hours per day is the same and you need more energy to get 100%, more PV solar or more generator time may be required.

I have seen 3 different published specifications from Trojan Battery about charging their cells. One publication lists 2.45 to 2.79 Vpc. 2.79 volts!! Does anyone charge this high? I'm a fan of high voltage charging, but I generally don't go over 2.53 Vpc for flooded. But, since the IND9 data sheet lists 2.45 Vpc maximum, I'de stick with that.

Larry

3 attachments, Trojan charge specs.