[RE-wrenches] Long transmission line inductance and LED light flicker

Troy Harvey taharvey at heliocentric.org
Tue Feb 11 17:44:56 PST 2014

Richard,

The system configuration is:
Approx 24.7kW of modules connected to:
	2 x 9kW Sunnyboys
	1 x 5kW Sunnyboys
Plus
4 x 6kW sunnyislands, with
2 Parallel 48V Strings of (12 x 4V Surrettes ) using 350MCM cable

Wire
The wire is about 1000 feet long 350 MCM in a "twisted" bundle to this outbuilding

Conditions
The conditions were during the day with full sun, so during the test there is approx. 47kW of available inverter pointed at only >15 amps (120V) of load(!).
The steady state conditions was a few LED lights, maybe 60 watts worth, plus a handful of vampire loads, maybe 100-200 watts total. When a pure resistance load, like a 1000W curling iron was turned on the lights would flicker.

Since the lights flickered from a resistive load, but didn't stay dim, I assumed it was from a reactive-phase issues due to the transient  turn-on - screwing with the LED dimmer circuits which are already doing a bit of magic to turn TRIAC waveforms into a DC constant current.

thanks,

Troy Harvey
Principal Engineer
Heliocentric