[RE-wrenches] Temperature Compensation calcs for wire

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Jan 24 11:42:41 PST 2014

Dave:

Thanks for this post, although in order to completely understand, it I
sacrificed a significant amount of time working up a spreadsheet and running
various scenarios.  My philosophy is that this will pay off in the long run.
I always create a spreadsheet so I can figure something out once and use it
always.

When analyzing these codes, I was wondering which table to use:  table
310.15(B)(2)(a) or table 310.15(B)(2)(b), and why?  The values are
significantly different.  For example at 62°C the values are 0.65 and 0.71,
respectively.  I deduced that they must be used in conjunction with ampacity
values from the correct 310.15(16) through (20) tables in regards to ambient
temperature.  I noted that for THWN the later tables (40°) do not go below
8AWG, so I figure I need to stick with 30° tables.  Is this correct?

Lastly, has anyone  used the 310.15(C) formula for calculating the values.
This should not be that hard.  What is considered "Engineering Supervision"?

Thanks again.

William