[RE-wrenches] RE-wrenches Digest, Vol 7, Issue 29

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 23:21:20 PST 2014

Drake, Wrenches;
There have been firefighter injuries requiring a hospital visit, but no
deaths that I know of. I try to keep track,  as I train firefighters in
renewable energy safety, and teach an IREC accredited class for RE
installers on how to start a local firefighter outreach program. But mining
the NFIRS database is tricky because keywords vary so much.

The most recent firefighter injury I know of was a serious electrical
shock  resulting from rooftop EMT that became live during a rooftop fire
and contacted a chainlink fence; the firefighter was touching the fence.
Rooftop flashing, eaves, metal roofs etc can all cause what UL calls
'unexpected current paths' in their recent testing. Their results on
testing FF PPE for protection against electrical hazards were also
sobering.....it does very little, and about zero when wet, which it usually
is.

As David stated, a big issue right now is how fire commanders are forced to
change (and back off from offensive to defensive) their fire attack
strategies when PV becomes an 'unknown.' Firefighters are scared of the the
unknown, and we never assume *anything*....just like how that metal water
drum in a garage fire might actually contain diesel or used motor oil....or
magnesium  shavings. I have a whole file of incidents  with PV systems
where local fire commanders had to back off because they just didn't know.

That said, there will be a *great* panel discussion in Denver in March at
the NABCEP CE conference regarding these topics and more. The first session
involves the new UL2703 racking and fire rating standards; the second one
(on which I am honored to be a panelist) the ICC 2012 setbacks and labeling
requirements. As a firefighter and PV installer I have a big mouthfull to
say about signage......

The new law that NJ Gov Chris Christie just signed into being is very
interesting.....I'll be analyzing it before the NABCEP conference. I think
with all the stakeholders involved, a just and fair equilibrium will be
reached, and *hopefully* will be a continuously evolving dialogue between
all stakeholders.

The last thing RE installers, firefighters, AHJs, and home and business
owners want to see is the "unknown." Scares the crap out of all of us!