[RE-wrenches] NEC 2014 690.12 Rapid Shutdown

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Tue Jan 21 09:36:15 PST 2014

Bill,

It is good to see that energized conductors are
going to be disconnected near the arrays. I've
been an advocate of disconnecting these
conductors by ground fault sensing equipment
since ground fault detection was first
implemented in the code. If contactors are to be
installed on roofs, it likely won't be long
before both ground faults and arc faults are automatically cleared.

When the requirement for AC arc fault branch
circuit protection was first put in the NEC, it
was postdated to allow time for the electrical
industry to adapt. This new remote disconnecting
requirement does not provide any lead time.

As the 2014 NEC is adopted in various
jurisdictions, inspectors may feel that it is
necessary to disallow systems without the newly
required disconnect feature. This may result in
serious problems for solar companies and customers, as well as manufacturers.

The protection of firefighters is essential. The
implementation of renewables is essential also.
Insurance claims for weather related, global
warming-triggered climatic disasters are rising
exponentially. Extreme weather related events
result in major loss of life and billions of
dollars in property damage. Atmospheric CO2
levels continue to climb from the burning of
fossil fuels. This is a crisis of global proportions.

My request for code writers is to please take
into account the effect that inserting new rules
into the NEC may have on the stability of
renewable energy, and implement new requirements
in a way that will allow for a smooth interface.

Thank you,

Drake

Drake Chamberlin
Athens Electric LLC