[RE-wrenches] Outback 200 RE

Jerry Shafer jerrysgarage01 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 09:37:43 PST 2014

On Jan 20, 2014 8:42 AM, "Larry Crutcher, Starlight Solar Power Systems" <
larry at starlightsolar.com> wrote:

> Jerry (and Chris),
>
> I can't agree that there is nothing better than FLA batteries. It depends
> on may factors. For example, many of our customers are only using their
> system seasonally. When away for up to 6 months, an AGM or GEL battery will
> be far superior unless you have a knowledgable person servicing the bank
> every month.  If your customer is not fully dedicated to understanding and
> then actually caring out all the requirements of owning a flooded bank
> (watering, equalizing, keeping a log book, testing, cleaning, …), then I
> would not suggest FLA.
>
> Chris, designing and installing battery based systems require lots of
> understanding. You will likely be the one educating your customer and
> resolving problems for many years. The single most important item to
> install in any off grid system is a battery capacity meter. Its like a fuel
> gauge so you can see what you are doing with your battery bank. Check out
> Blue Sky Energy and Bogart Engineering.
>
> Suggesting Rolls (very high quality) and Interstate (cheapest battery from
> JC) in the same sentence…well, that just made my teeth hurt.
>
> Larry
>

> On Jan 18, 2014, at 7:21 PM, Jerry Shafer <jerrysgarage01 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> My mistake nothing better then FLA vented,  I would stay away from
> centurians I have had a lot of premee failures, rolls, interstate and the
> big boys Hawker can last 20 years. Also nickel  iron no not metal "iron"
> cost alot but you should never need to replace them my last set was 35k for
> 900 amps
> Jerry
> On Jan 18, 2014 4:20 PM, "Chris Mason" <cometenergysystems at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This is for an off-grid system.
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Jerry Shafer <jerrysgarage01 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> For for grid tie system l I would only use AGM weather it be interstate
>>> or rolls and amps per buck is better over time
>>> Jerry

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>
> Change email address & settings:

> List rules & etiquette:

> Larry
There are allot of variables some of which I did not include. Rolls is good
Interstate will also work, Hawker is even better, interstate is least
expensive and available all over so that is where that came from. If the
location is seasonal and small sealed will be OK and both need to be
maintained over the Off season. I always try to teach my customers how to
perform the service and it will usually fall somewhere between 3 and 4
months apart so if you are away for 6 months this can be an issue. Sealed
may be better if there are very low temps during the off season. Most of my
"off Grid" customers are full time and service is part of the maintenance
schedule. Education of the owner is very important as that will be there
first line of defense of survival and monitoring of the system is always
good, we use the Outback system Flex DC with the shunts, it does seam that
bogart along with Outback both need to be cleared and reset on occasion.
Sorry if I made your teeth hurt.
Jerry