[RE-wrenches] CA Fire code

David Brearley david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Mon Jan 6 11:33:41 PST 2014

Lars,

Back in October, UL was in the process of finalizing a new fire test method for for roof-mounted PV systems. This new test method will bridge the gap between the fire tests for roofing coverings (UL 790) and those found in UL 1703, the standard for flat-plate PV modules. Long story short, Class C PV modules installed over a Class A roofing system will result in a Class A fire-rated roof-mounted PV system.

At least that's how I understood the presentation delivered by Christopher Flueckinger from UL during the "Fire Safety" session at SPI in Chicago. I'm sure Bill Brooks will chime in shortly and provide more clarity.

Best regards,

David Brearley
Senior Technical Editor, SolarPro magazine
david.brearley at solarprofessional.com
Direct: 541.261.6545