[RE-wrenches] Panels with 20.1% efficiency rating

Hilton Dier hiltondier at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 06:15:03 PST 2014

There is a theoretical physical limit for silicon based cells around 34% efficiency, so 20% for a whole module is quite good.

To get past 34% researchers have gone to multi junction cells and concentrators, but it isn't practical for our purposes. Even with that they've only gotten into the low forties.

What we really need now is not more efficient modules but cheaper mounting hardware. Ground mounting is getting as expensive as modules.

Hilton Dier III
Renewable Energy Design
Solar Gain, LLC
Missisquoi River Hydro LLC