[RE-wrenches] AC coupling SolarEdge

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 06:12:45 PST 2014

Hello wrenches,

I have a request to design a modest battery backup system for a residence
that has a 10 kW grid-tied Solar Edge system using a single SolarEdge
Inverter SE10000A- US.  I'd like to try to utilize the solar potential that
we have on site.  One idea that I had was to use DC relay(s) to cut out a
couple strings when the grid was out, dropping the PV input down to about
3kW.  Has anyone ever tried this?

I could easily get away with a ~4 kW battery-based inverter and would like
to avoid stacking unnecessarily.

Solar Edge also offers power output control through radio ripple control.
I took a look at this paper on it
http://www.solaredge.com/files/pdfs/power-reduction-control-application-note.pdf.
Off-the shelf it looks like I would need a computer to control the power
output dynamically.  Perhaps I could activate the 5V K2 relay with a simple
control scheme and drop the power to 30%, but I hesitate to dive in too
deep.  Anyone worked with radio ripple control?

Thanks

--

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*