[RE-wrenches] Tile Roof mount compliance

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Nov 20 11:14:40 PST 2014

Friends:

We just received back from a local jurisdiction a correction notice for a
recently submitted permit application.  The job is a 12 module roof mount on
a tile roof.  The jurisdiction is calling for:

Show or describe roof framing including rafter type, size, span and spacing.
If engineered, manufactured trusses, provide approval for modification of
trusses by drilling by a California licensed architect, civil engineer or
structural engineer per California Residential Code R802.10.4.

The home has prebuilt trusses and was built in the mid-‘70s.  The homeowner
does not have blueprints for the home.  If I read this correctly, we are
being asked to document the roof trusses and to prove it is OK to drill into
them.

It seems pointless to describe the trusses to a building official as the
building official is not qualified to determine if a described truss is
adequate.  Also, do I really need to have a licensed engineer prove I can
set Simpson 1/4X3 SDS lags into a rafter?  If ¼” Simpson lag is driven near
the center of a truss, there should be no issue.

I need:

1.    Documentation that would prove the roof loading of less than 3 pounds
per square foot with a point load of 59 pounds per connection should not
require engineering, and

2.    Documentation showing that I can drive ¼” lags into a rafter without
an engineer’s permission.

Thanks in advance.

William Miller

Gradient Cap_mini