[RE-wrenches] Suspect MX 60

Drake drake.chamberlin at redwoodalliance.org
Tue Nov 18 06:51:45 PST 2014

Hello Wrenches,

An MX 60 boiled a 24 volt bank of 4 Trojan L-16 batteries last
summer. The batteries all checked out to be in good shape. It is not
totally clear that the CC was not set to auto equalize, but the EQ
voltage was only set at 31.0 V.

The battery bank has been replaced by 8 Full River L-16 AGM
batteries. The parameters have all been reset for AGM with EQ
disabled. The homeowners are concerned that the charge control may
not work, and damage their new battery bank.

If there is a problem with the CC, it is very intermittent. Has
anyone ever seen an intermittent MX 60?

Outback tech support says if we send it in they will update the
firmware for $90, and do a 24 hour bench test. It appears that the
firmware update will not do anything useful for this off grid system.
There are no new boards available for this unit. I'm not sure if the
bench test will show up an intermittent problem.

Has anyone had this situation before?  Would it be better to:
    * Replace the CC
    * Send the CC to Outback
    * Do nothing
Thank you,