[RE-wrenches] Controlling a Generator without an inverter

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Nov 7 12:45:09 PST 2014

Friend:

I am consulting on an installation without an inverter.  We need to start
and run a generator to power a Samlex battery charger.  We have a Midnite
Classic, but in reviewing the manual it is not clear if the unit can be
programmed to control a generator sensibly.  I have a call into Midnite and
am awaiting a reply.

Just starting a generator at a certain low voltage point is inadequate.  The
generator needs to run until bulk and absorption are accomplished.

We did connect an Outback MX60 to a Mate without an FX once.  The menu
structure was very different from any manual but we were able to start a
generator remotely with the manual relay settings.  I just can't remember if
it is possible to take advantage of all of the AGS features such as multiple
start conditions and the absorption timers with a Mate and an FM60.

Has anyone addressed this scenario?

William

Gradient Cap_mini
Lic 773985