[RE-wrenches] Searchable, notable Code

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Nov 5 12:15:11 PST 2014

Friends:

We have been seeing a lot of good commentary here on code questions.  I need to be able to access these in the future at a time when I may not have thought about a specific issue for some time and need to be able to get my head around a concept in a hurry.  Searching the Wrenches archives is not an efficient method.  I need the information right in my copy of the code, at the exact location it applies.

My first electronic (PDF) version of the code from NFPA came packaged in a product called “Folio Viewer.”  This was a great product that allowed advanced search functions and sophisticated bookmarking.  Unfortunately this program is no longer available, a real shame.

We all have a need to markup our own versions of the code.  Currently I “break” the electronic protection of the PDF version using an on-line service (http://online2pdf.com/).  I can then create my own bookmarks, margin notes and links.  I add comments like those below using the ‘sticky notes’ function of Acrobat Pro and bookmark oft-used passages.  I also create links to cited sections, making it easier to navigate.

Does anyone else have suggestions as to how to retain notes and pertinent comments within the code?

William

Gradient Cap_mini
Lic 773985
 <http://www.millersolar.com/> millersolar.com