[RE-wrenches] TL Inverters

Mark Byington markb at cobaltpower.com
Tue Oct 7 06:58:56 PDT 2014

Just a word of caution to those not having experience with SMA TL inverters
- the larger units (7-11 kW) have an extremely narrow input DC voltage
window.  Depending on your module voltage and string design, all you need is
a module or two to be shaded to fall out of the MPPT input voltage range.
The smaller units (3-5 kW) with the Secure Power Supply don't have this
problem.  We no longer use these larger SMA TL inverters unless we can do
maximum string length (e.g. strings of 8 for SunPower 96-cell) and there is
zero shade at the site.

I believe SMA is in the process of adding larger units to the line that has
the Secure Power Supply.  They added the 6 kW unit earlier this year, and
just announced the 7 kW unit with Secure Power Supply.

Mark Byington

Cobalt Power Systems, Inc.