[RE-wrenches] More Sunny Island power problems

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Fri Aug 15 09:25:07 PDT 2014

Friends:

A Sunny Island mini-grid system I am maintaining also does not play nice
with a UPS unit.  So much so that the system reportedly fried a Furman UPS
unit yesterday!

This should not be!  The UPS unit is supposed to protect downstream
equipment and should be able to protect itself as well.

I need to rent some high quality power monitoring equipment to monitor
voltage, frequency and distortion.  I need one three phase unit in the power
building and I need something more compact for the AV equipment room.  Does
anyone have a recommendation for models that might work in this scenario?

The thought occurred to me that the system by which the Sunny Island varies
line frequency may be problematic for sensitive electronics.  I have
connected the Sunny Island master to the Sunny Boys with RS485 and
programmed the Sunny Boys for off-grid.  Can this allow the two systems to
communicate to regulate PV charge without relying on frequency shifting?

Thanks in advance.

William

Gradient Cap_mini
Lic 773985