[RE-wrenches] High specific gravity

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 18:54:48 PDT 2014

Hello wrenches,

I just went on a service call for a new client.  He had a bank of 4 year
old Interstate L16HCL batteries, 2 strings of 8, 48V system, 840Ahr.  We
went through the batteries and got specific gravity on all of the cells
post-equalization.  I was a bit surprised to see some very high numbers ie
over 1.32 for the specific gravities (higher than my refractometer goes).
 The specific gravities were all over the place, but I haven't seen numbers
this high.  I don't have a great explanation.  He has a stacked 3648 VFX
Outback system, and the set-points were 58.8V Absorb for 2 hours, and 62V
Equalize for 2 hours.  He has a decent amount of solar (about 3400W) and a
1000W wind generator.

Any ideas why the specific gravity is so high on some cells?  Also, is
there anything wrong with having SG this high, post-equalization?  For this
very standard battery, what settings do you go with (Bulk, Absorb, Float,
Eq, and times for Abs and Equalization).

Thanks in advance

--

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*