[RE-wrenches] Diode Failure

Corey Shalanski cshalanski at joule-energy.com
Tue Aug 5 07:03:09 PDT 2014

Wrenches,

We recently were contacted by a customer who reported a lightning strike
close to his house. His online monitoring revealed that 30 of 35
microinverters simultaneously stopped producing power. On initial visit to
the jobsite we measured Voc on many modules - either 12V or 24V instead of
rated 36V. On a second visit we discovered that bypass diodes - either 1 or
2 corresponding to observed voltage loss - had failed on each of the faulty
modules.

My question is: Can anyone support the theory that a nearby lightning flash
can cause mass bypass diode failure?

--
Corey Shalanski
Joule Energy