[RE-wrenches] Split bolts

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Jun 25 11:14:40 PDT 2014

Friends:

I narrowly avoided catastrophe yesterday.  I created a tap connection on a
200 amp main breaker.  I wrap split bolts with Scotch 2229 mastic and then
cover that with a generous layer of Scotch 33+ tape.

On this occasion, just as I was putting the dead front in place I noticed
the glint of metal poking through the mastic and tape.  The points on the
legs of the split bolt are sharp and the mastic and tape had crept away from
this point and exposed a tiny point of metal.  This point would have
contacted the dead front lightly or at least would have been in close
proximity.  Had I energized the breaker, I would have had a significant arc.
I unwrapped both connectors so both bolts had the legs facing away from the
dead-front, creating a good ½” of clearance and then wrapped them more
carefully.

30 years ago I had access to rubberized cloth tape that we used instead of
the mastic.  I suspect the cloth tape is more durable than the mastic, but I
don’t see it in the supply houses anymore.

How do the rest of you wrap split bolts so you are confident that the mastic
won’t creep away from a high point on the connector?

Thanks in advance.

William

Gradient Cap_mini
Lic 773985