[RE-wrenches] Battery Temp, SOC, and Voltage

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Sun Mar 30 12:26:10 PDT 2014

Hi folks;

I have pondered LVD set points to protect batteries from freezing, and
realized I don't have enough information.
While temp compensation is fairly straight forward when charging (
increase charge voltage when cold, reduce when hot, manufacturer's #s
are close to charge controller assumptions....no problem)
However, it is not at all clear what the battery voltage is at low
temperatures, when the battery is at rest or during discharge. I've
actually found a chart that shows battery voltage at rest for a fully
charged battery _Decreases_ at cold temps.   (Look at voltage at bottom
of chart)

  I know battery capacity is reduced, but the voltage actually goes
down, while charge voltage goes up?  what happens during discharge? is
the voltage higher or lower at low temps?
I know that it becomes complicated with discharge rate, so that higher
discharge rates create artificially lower voltages, hence the wonderful
LVD settings of the old Trace SW 4024, which had 3 different voltage set
points for 15 minutes, 2hrs, and 24 hrs periods.  However, were these
set points temperature compensated? and if so, was it a negative or
positive compensation?

Example:  I want to keep electrolyte specific gravity above 1.15
(roughly 40% SOC) as this has a freeze point of about 5 deg F.
So voltage for a lead acid battery at room temperature at 40% SOC is
about 12 volts (open circuit, at rest)
Just looking at this chart, and applying the same voltage ratio to a
battery at 40% SOC,  I'm seeing a set point of 11.8 v for a battery at
rest at 5 deg F.  But this doesn't account for discharge rate, and I
don't know whether to fudge voltage up or down based on discharge rate
at low temps.
Basically I want set points that protect the battery, but aren't overly
conservative.

Anyone have a temperature compensation chart (or coefficient) that
applies to different Discharge rates?

--
R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc