[RE-wrenches] Fault Current

Karl Jaeger kjaeger at lightwavesolar.com
Thu Mar 27 11:05:07 PDT 2014

Esteemed Wrenches,
We've recently run into an issue with a local distributor citing network fault current on a split-phase service as a reason to prevent interconnection of our customer's solar array. They've given us the options of reducing our system size from 36.5kW-DC to 15kW-DC, or having the customer upgrade to 3-phase at a soft price of $20-30K. We're looking at 32kW of inverters on a 167kVA transformer.

Does anyone have experience on circumventing the issue of network fault current? Any experience with Fault Current Limiters?

Much appreciated,

Karl Jaeger
Design/Build Engineer
LightWave Solar Electric LLC