[RE-wrenches] Bergey Excel 1 wind generator issues

Chris Daum chris at OasisMontana.com
Wed Feb 19 12:39:28 PST 2014

Hello Wrenches:

We have a customer who's got one of the Excel One wind gennies, and he's
burnt up two Classic controllers (overvoltage....the 2nd time it got over
400V before it burnt up).  Bergey's been dragging their feet as to why this
is happening; they're saying it's probably an "upslope site" where the RPM
just gets too high, among other things.  Metering tests prove that the
stator is OK.

They also said that Midnite Solar has a 'clipper' to prevent overvoltage; do
any of you have any experience with this device?  It's ~$1200, and of course
there is no mention of this on Bergey's web site or in their XL.1 manual.

I have several other XL.1s in the general area, but they are on their old
24V controller.  So I am looking for more information on anyone who's using
this 'clipper'.

Please feel free to contact me off list.

Thanks!

Chris Daum
Oasis Montana Inc.
406-777-4309