[RE-wrenches] From the Sunny Island manual

william at millersolar.com william at millersolar.com
Tue Feb 11 20:04:37 PST 2014

Friends:

Below is a quote from the Sunny Island manual.  I am interested if anyone
can interpret this for me, please.

If there are no additional fuses installed between the generator or utility
grid and the Sunny Island, the Sunny Island knows whether it has a
connection to the utility grid/to the generator. The Sunny Island can then
draw current from the utility grid/from the generator.

If there are additional fuses or switches installed between the Sunny Island
and the utility grid/ the generator, the Sunny Island cannot determine
whether fuses or switches are separated or whether there is no voltage
available from the utility grid/the generator. In either case the Sunny
Island cannot charge its battery and the loads that are in operation will
discharge the Sunny Island battery. Check the additional fuses and switches
regularly in order that the Sunny Island battery only discharges when there
is no voltage available from the utility grid/the generator.

Here is what I think it means:  if there is additional power distribution
connected to the Sunny Island AC input, those loads may be powered by
inversion, inadvertently depleting the batteries.  What is unusual here is
that with a standard off-grind inverter, loads connected to the input side
can never be powered by the batteries, but they can be with an AC coupled
inverter?  Is this correct?

Also, I have not found it in the manual although I have looked:  Can the
Sunny Island provide generator support (sync to and provide additional power
to loads that exceed the capability of the generator?

Thank you all very much.

William Miller