[RE-wrenches] Solar Module fire ratings

William Korthof wkorthof at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 08:56:05 PST 2014

I've just been informed by a city (our own City in fact) that is asking for
minimum Class-B fire-rated solar modules, citing rules newly adopted Jan 1,
2014. The expert behind the counter made reference to IRC section 902.4,
which seems to call for solar installations to meet the same fire rating
standard as the roofing on which they are installed. It was the end of the
day. Most roofing is B or A rating apparently, and my official was adamant
that this meant only a B or A rated panel would be allowed.

As far as I know, virtually every solar panel I've ever handled going back
to the mid 90's was Class C rated. The only Class A I remember (and the
only one I noticed from web searching) was the obnoxiously unwieldy
glass-on-glass 300-watt series that got absorbed by Schott and probably
discontinued many years ago. I have one of those antiques in my shop for
fun, and I encountered exactly one installation that used the product (from
another installer), and there were "issues" with the panels within the
first 10 years.

Is this Class A/B requirement issue true? Did the state fire marshall adopt
a policy at the start of this year that basically bans all panels with C
rating?
Are there any class B or A rated modules on the market?
Who's brilliant idea was this?

/wk
--
William Korthof <http://www.sustainsp.com/images/SSP_Logo_RGB_email.jpg>