[RE-wrenches] Long transmission line inductance and LED light flicker

Troy Harvey taharvey at heliocentric.org
Sun Feb 2 12:39:30 PST 2014

We've got a PV system that has long lines from the inverters to the house (1000 ft or so). While the wires are properly sized (2x350MCMs), it inherently has a lot of inductance due to the line-length. What We are noticing is that dimmable LED lights flicker anytime a new load turned on, even if that load is purely resistive and the overall current draw is small (20 amps or so). What I "think" is happening is the LED dimmer circuits get their cue from phase delays, and that the inductance of the line length causes some phase jitter everytime a load is applied - thus causing flicker.

Has anyone dealt with this issue successfully (other than switching to incandescent lights)? Would a static capacitor bank at the house do the trick, or do we need some type of active PFC? And if static did you have any issues with constant power draw from the capacitors?

Troy Harvey