[RE-wrenches] CA Fire code

Lars Ortegren lars at cal-solar.com
Mon Jan 6 08:55:25 PST 2014

Wrenches,
If you are in a wild land fire zone in CA, it looks like we are all in for
a rude awakening. Our local AHJ is requiring not only set backs for
ventilation of roofs, but also THAT ALL PANELS ON THE ROOF CARY A CLASS A
FIRE RATING! It doesn't take allot of research to realize that this pretty
much eliminates roof-top solar as an option, as if you can eve find a class
A panel, they are cost prohibitive. I'm wondering a couple things. One, has
anyone had luck using the local political process to postpone the
enforcement of the class A requirement? and two, has anyone found readily
available Class A modules?
  This issue seems to have caught the industry with it's pants down, as
industry lobby doesn't even seem to be aware that the the local AHJ's would
have this interpretation. Is this the end of roof top solar in 60% of
California? What are y'all doing to deal with this issue?

--

*Lars Ortegren*

*President*

California Solar Electric Company <http://www.californiasolarco.com>

.PO Box 480

149 E.Main St

Grass Valley, CA 95945

Phone : (530)274-3671 Fax: (530)274-7518

 *California C-10 Electical Contractor #779624*

*Certified NABCEP Continuing Education Provider*

*Certified NAPCEP Technical Sales and Installation Profesional *